ROSS RODNEY

ROSS RODNEY

Postby teesships » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:23 pm

ROSS RODNEY (5300649), G.F.Sleight & Sons Ltd, Grimsby (per Miramar), 697gt,
completed Cochrane & Sons, Selby, 1-1957
1957 RODNEY - 1962 ROSS RODNEY
BU Hartlepool 6.3.80 [Unfit Building Ltd]
Now, even for Hartlepool, there must be some doubt over that company name! Unifit, maybe ... web search does not help!!

While looking for something else, I came across my negative of this trawler in Hull on 4 July 1967, which I had been meaning to dig out and show for quite some time.
rossrodney040767.jpg
Memory plays strange tricks and until I looked up her details I'd completely forgotten I'd seen her again while being broken up at Hartlepool! Recorded on 2 March 1980:
rossrodney020380x1.jpg
rossrodney020380x2.jpg
rossrodney020380x3.jpg
Distant view, still pre-telephoto days!
As I say, memory plays strange tricks. Where I'm getting confused is that I first saw her the previous year on 1 September 1966. On that occasion, she was the last but one ship I recorded at the end of a long day walking the then extensive dock system! My recollection is that she was tucked away, not in one of the fish docks, but one of the docks in the city centre, from where I would head back to Paragon railway station. Possibly Railway Dock (now the marina), maybe even Princess Dock. Just before that I had photographed the ALIGNITY from the pier area.
Now, with this sighting the following year, she was again virtually the last vessel seen, only a handful of tugs, a couple of them veterans awaiting disposal, followed in my notebook. Can anyone tell me from the background whether this 1967 sighting was in St. Andrew's Dock, or was she still back in the city centre docks?
Yes, I know, I'm getting old, but it was 46 years ago!!! (And a nice shot of her!!)
Ron
PS. This is one of those topics that could fit in about 4 different niches on NEM!! I decided on Fishing Vessels of Hull because that was the location for my sighting.
teesships

Re: ROSS RODNEY

Postby michaelb » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:57 pm

Ron,Ross Rodney was broken up here in Hartlepool by R&B Weldall&Son,they scrapped a couple of trawlers but mainly worked on the barges what came to have there decks cleared....michael...
Last edited by michaelb on Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
michaelb

Postby northeast » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:41 pm

Ron, the Hull photo looks like the south side of Railway Dock. Often used for trawler fitting out or repairs.

p.s was Flounders the Sole shipbreaker at H'pool ;)
northeast
Site Admin

Postby michaelb » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:54 pm

George,R&B Weldall was a small Fabrication Company situated in/on Victoria Dock where Herema are now sited,the Trawler Scrapping was done between there main work of clearing the Barges after they had completed the movement of Rigs/Modules etc offshore.They were the only Company I know who Scrapped anything here in Hartlepool.....michael....
michaelb

Postby teesships » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:05 pm

Mick and Harry and others might help me here, but I'm trying to remember ships broken up at Hartlepool.
In addition to ROSS RODNEY there was another trawler VIANOVA and the TULIPBANK (originally an Isles Class trawler).
The two others I recall were Gibson's LANRICK (of 1957) and the tug AYTON CROSS.

For these others Miramar records:
VIANOVA - BU Hartlepool 3.80 [A&M Marine]
TULIPBANK - BU Hartlepool 5.79 [Rodridge Engineering Ltd]
LANRICK - BU Hartlepool 27.5.82 [Cleveland Marine Eqpt Supplies]
AYTON CROSS - no entry
I think this information would be that given in issues of MARINE NEWS (journal of the World Ship Society) at the time they recorded the scrappings.

So, for the four others I can remember, all broken up in the same area within Hartlepool Docks, all are recorded as different entities. I echo George's query as to whether all were owned by Barry Flounders?

Ron
teesships

Postby teesships » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:16 pm

For information, these vessels were scrapped in the corner of Jackson Dock, round about where the WINGFIELD CASTLE is now preserved.

Ron
teesships

Postby michaelb » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:31 pm

Ron,I cant remember any other company Scrapping anything,I remember the Vianova i think Volesus was also Scrapped here,was'nt the Tulipbank taken to the Tees?...
michaelb

Postby teesships » Sun May 18, 2014 8:39 pm

I know it's now a while ago since we looked at this topic but just wondered if the trawler VOLESUS as mentioned by Michael rings any bells with anyone? Miramar merely record: deleted 1998/99

Ron
teesships

Return to Fishing Vessels of Hull