Hereward, H class destroyer

Hereward, H class destroyer

Postby E28 » Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:01 pm

H class destroyer Hereward was the only H class at the Coronation Fleet Review 20 May 1937 at Spithead.

Here she is http://www.tynebuiltships.co.uk/H-Ships ... d1936.html

but none of these images are as she was when completed when she did shipboard trials during 1937 with the new twin 4.7" as fitted in the later Tribals, J, K and N classes.

At the Fleet review amongst others were all 9 B, all 9 E and all 9 G class were present, 3 full flotillas. All 9 D class were absent. Visually all the A -I classes appeared almost the same.
Thats all folks. Sean.
E28

Re: Hereward, H class destroyer

Postby Hornbeam » Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:39 am

In Malta but not on! is a complete preWW2 Destroyer Engineroom with Admiralty Boilers and Parsons Turbines (hence NE connection ;) ) deep underground, the only difference is that the Turbines are used for generating electricity rather than propulsion, installed just prior to WW2 it was under RN installation and ran for many years after WW2 until we handed it over to civilian Management after we pulled out and decommissioned at a later date.
As far as I am aware it is still there which seems amazing considering the value of scrap metal especially in the Condensers which contain a large amount of Copper tubing along with the large Brass Faceplates although it may be like a lot of old Underground Military Installations in that getting equipment out (no soft patches) is a lot harder than putting it in.
Like my old Reporting Station at Pitreavie (a underground installation) the floors were blown up and then it was Cement Capped with a lot of equipment left in possibly due to concerns about Asbestos?
Hornbeam

Return to Shipbuilding on the Tyne