James Clark Ross

James Clark Ross

Postby buggins » Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:19 pm

Reportedly being acquired by Ukraine with RRS Sir David Attemborough taking her place.
buggins

Re: James Clark Ross

Postby Hornbeam » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:26 pm

Interesting purchase by Ukraine, I wonder if they will change her role to Patrol Ship, Ukraine does have environmental issues not helped by Chernobyl and problems with drinking water but it seems a bit odd to purchase such a vessel bearing in mind the activities of Russia in Ukraine and the Russian Navy in that area.
Hornbeam

Postby magoonigal » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:43 pm

The Ukraine do have some history in this and with JAMES CLARK ROSS.

http://uac.gov.ua/en/25-years-ago-akade ... e-history/
Paul Hood. + WSS Tyneside Branch Hon Sec.
magoonigal

Postby Hornbeam » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:12 am

Thank You Paul, I had no idea Ukraine had an interest in that part of the World, I would have thought the cost and effort keeping the Russians at bay would have prohibited such a purchase at the present time, every day a learning day.
Hornbeam

Postby Hornbeam » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:30 pm

Judging by the amount of equipment and a Base H.M.G.has given ( for a token Pound Coin apparently) Ukraine in the past, paid for in part I suspect by the British Taxpayer it is possible that we could have given the subject vessel to Ukraine or possible Lend/Lease. Some times you have to wonder about these Enviroment people, there you have a Country (Ukraine) where the water is undrinkable and bottled water is used presumably out of bottles made out of plastic which requires a lot of energy to make, then the full/ empty bottles need to be transported around the Country, then the plastic bottles need to be returned to produce taking further amounts of energy and all they are interested in doing is Skating around both Poles taking a few samples you would have thought their priority would be at least to gave their people in Ukraine the basic requirement of fresh water.
Hornbeam

Return to Shipbuilding on the Tyne