For all naval matters throughout the North East region

HMS DANAE

Postby MadMaxLab » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:21 am

HMS DANAE   .jpg
TEES 1970s
MadMaxLab

Re: HMS DANAE

Postby E28 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:23 pm

I have a special affinity with this Danae and her significance to my interest in warships.

Hope you may like my little ditty.

The Lady who launched her in Devonport ( NEVER Plymouth ) 21 October 1965 had given me a 15/- ( 75pence to you youth ) book token just 2 months before as a birthday present. Wandering into a bookshop i was mesmerised by the colour dust cover on a book titled The World's Warships 3rd Edition by Raymond V. B. Blackman. Sold. All 15/- worth. Gone. No Change.

This book duly had numerous amendments and additions added over a few years becoming illegible and falling apart at the seams.
Having served its purpose a new copy of Jane's Fighting Ships in 1969 for Christmas at about £9 guineas supplanted it. That i still have in pristine condition with no childish but enthusiastic amendments

It always intrigued me that the nice colour dust cover of The Worlds Warships as mentioned states USS Forrestal when it was USS Enterprise. Even an 11 year old could work that out.

Oh, HMS Danae. Pronounced Da Nae Ee. I also served 10 years in the Andrew and Danae was with us in 1971 when i served in Glamorgan in the far flung and down under. Great days.

How did YOU get interested in ships and shipping ?
Last edited by E28 on Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thats all folks. Sean.
E28

Re: HMS DANAE

Postby shipbroker » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:43 pm

I remember my Father and I having a guided tour of this vessel in Middlesbrough Dock,probably my first RN vessel visit.

Geoff
shipbroker

Return to Naval Shipping