Bismarck

For all naval matters throughout the North East region

Bismarck

Postby Hornbeam » Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:19 pm

Just watching a programme about the eventual demise of the Bismarck which is well known, what is not so well known is that the RN Wireless Listening Station on Irton Moor, Scarborough played a major part in the vessel's eventual sinking. An interesting place which over the years has grown like Topsy but now run by G.C.H.Q. Cheltenham.
Hornbeam

Re: Bismarck

Postby northeast » Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:22 am

Must admit I'd not come across that one, Ron, well off any normal route I took.
https://www.gchq.gov.uk/information/abo ... carborough
northeast
Site Admin

Postby magoonigal » Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:18 am

Yes, very interesting.
Paul Hood. + WSS Tyneside Branch Hon Sec.
magoonigal

Postby northeast » Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:33 am

I've often passed RAF Staxton Wold, coming up from Driffield and just south of the A64. I see it's listed as a 'remote radar head' now.
And who remembers Danby Beacons? Only vague memory from early 1950's.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Danby_Beacon
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Hornbeam » Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:53 am

Good Morning, looks like a miserable day certainly in the N.E.
Staxton Wold is the oldest active RADAR Station in the World George, it has had numerous updates over the years but now a shadow of its former self and is as now a just a RADAR Head as is indicated all down to Satellites along with the 24/7 patrolling AWACS downloading, they do have a mobile RADAR on site which looks down the valley all the way to York which at one time was very active with RAF Aircraft on low level combat but now mainly Training Aircraft. That area between Bridlington and and Hull was a very active in the RADAR World at one time.
Remember Danby Beacon very well when it was was active and I have some cracking photographs of when it was in operation, Black and White of course. The Moor area under the Transmitter Masts is still barren after all these years, nothing will grow there.j
Last edited by Hornbeam on Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hornbeam

Postby Hornbeam » Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:29 pm

The M.O.D. Policy with old RADAR Station underground Citadels and equipment Is to cement the entrances up switch the Bilge Pumps off and let them flood this was done at both Danby and Greatham Creek, Cold Heseldon is used on the Top Floor by various Comms Companies, further afield at my old stomping ground "The Pit" they left most of the old equipment in which they could not recover Compressors etc and blew the floors in, capped it off and let it flood and or flooded it I understand :(
If you want to look at a former RADAR Station preserved now as a Museum go to Holmpton George, a really nice chap has it now and it is an eyeopener on the Cold War for those who are not aware of the 'Dark Side' of military operations. ;)
Hornbeam

Return to Naval Shipping