H 60, and a K Class sub

For all naval matters throughout the North East region

H 60, and a K Class sub

Postby dustydog1 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:01 am

Good Day,

H 60 post WW1 HMS Grasshopper?? being broken up. In the background you can just make out the H 60, in the WW1 style.

A K Class sub in the fore ground well in the process of being broken up.

What would be the Ship on the left of frame.
Raised aft quarter, slightly rounded Ship side, and the Anchor is housed rather low down on the ram type bow.

Mid to late 1920,s
Photograph J.H Cleet

Thanks

H 60 and K class sub.jpg
H 60 HMS Grasshopper, with K Class sub and unknown HMS on the left of frame.

H 60 and K class sub 2a.jpg
As above.
Last edited by dustydog1 on Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
dustydog1

Re: H 60 HMS Grasshopper, and a K Class sub

Postby Whickham » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:34 am

Not sure about the H60, but then again I should have gone to Specsavers, however my version of Colledge says she was sold to Fryer, Sunderland 01/11/1921.
Is the photo at Sunderland?
K7 was sold to Fryer 09/09/1921.
She was the only one sold to Fryer as far as I can see.

K13 was sold to Young, Sunderland 16/12/1926
Dave
Whickham

Postby Whickham » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:04 am

Still not sure about GRASSHOPPER. Attached is a photo of another Beagle Class destroyer & the fat, fat, thin funnels are different from your photo.

HMS_Scourge_(1910)_IWM_SP_000524.jpg

also from another site she may have been renumbered H28 some time before her disposal.

See also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Hind_(1911) . Note the auto link misses off the final bracket.

This states HIND was H60 at the time of her disposal.
Dave
Whickham

Postby Nighttrucker » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:27 pm

Re the H60 Pennant Number this number has been used by quite a few different ships
LYRA 1914
LIZARD 1918-1919
HIND 1919-1921
CRUSADER
OTTAWA ( Lost)
TRENCHANT
GRIFFIN
No mention of GRASSHOPPER Ever having worn the Pennant Number H60
If the location and date are assumed to be correct then BASILISK was Broken up at Sunderland by Fryer 1 -11 1921 could this be the vessel on the left ?

Dave
Nighttrucker

Postby E28 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:55 pm

Ship inboard is the ex HMS Forward, name ship of 2 Scout cruisers.
Built Fairfield, yno 431, launch 27 August 1904
Sold Fryer, Sunderland 27 July 1921

Sister Foresight also survived WW1, sold 3 March 1920.
There were 8 of these Scouts, 4 builders designed and constructed 2 each.

However, i ask why she and the K boat are in that position off the quay,
and secondly, which ship does the figurehead top right in second image belong to.
Thats all folks. Sean.
E28

Re: H 60, and a K Class sub

Postby dustydog1 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:27 am

E28 wrote:
However, i ask why she and the K boat are in that position off the quay,

Given the lack of cranes, and the floating rafts, it would be easier to have access to both sides of the vessels for breaking and removing smaller items, and leave space for the local coaster to drop off pit props etc. having access to the Quayside, see the large amount of wood in the background.

and secondly, which ship does the figurehead top right in second image belong to.

see more of the sailing? ship photo. sorry you will have to flip the photo horizontally.

Nighttrucker wrote:Re the H60 Pennant Number this number has been used by quite a few different ships
LYRA 1914
LIZARD 1918-1919
HIND 1919-1921
CRUSADER
OTTAWA ( Lost)
TRENCHANT
GRIFFIN
No mention of GRASSHOPPER Ever having worn the Pennant Number H60

see link. http://www.naval-history.net/WW1NavyBri ... antNos.htm

H 60 noted, as HMS Grasshopper 6-18 , and looking at the photos of the Class looked good for a match. Not looking so good now thou. So have taken Grasshopper out of the thread title.

If the location and date are assumed to be correct then BASILISK was Broken up at Sunderland by Fryer 1 -11 1921 could this be the vessel on the left ?

See slightly more of the sail ship in the new photo attached. The figure head and bow.
Dave

Whickham wrote:Not sure about the H60, however my version of Colledge says she was sold to Fryer, Sunderland 01/11/1921.
Is the photo at Sunderland?

Possible, J.H Cleet was usually around South Shield, and the North East.

K7 was sold to Fryer 09/09/1921.
She was the only one sold to Fryer as far as I can see.

K13 was sold to Young, Sunderland 16/12/1926

I,ll start another thread on another breaking K class.

sail ship breaking..jpg
requires flipping horizontally. Maybe in for repair to bow shell plating.
dustydog1

Postby dustydog1 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:41 am

Firstly thank you all for the comments thus far.

I have a couple more photo which I would like some help with.

If the photo below shows, may be the Stb side of H 60, the ship in the centre, what little is left, would appear to have two large SW inlets for condenser cooling.
What could she have been, given the date period we are looking at, steam expansion engined, or steam turbine.

I say may be H 60 because she may be double, or triple banked, see the mast sticking out the third funnel. Which looks lower down and simalar to the vessel in centre H 60?

The first photo, also shows a coaster with a while (light coloured) funnel with black dark topping. This can also just be seen by the aft torpedo tube back.

The photos in the first and this post by not have been taken at the same time and the vessel could have been moved around.

You thoughts please.

H 60 Stb side and another.jpg
dustydog1

Postby Whickham » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:41 am

Regarding the funnel of the coaster, this could also be the funnel of a Sunderland Towage tug, vertical stripes with a black top.

See SOUTER an example: http://www.tynetugs.co.uk/souter1910.html

They were taken into France, Fenwick Tyne & Wear Co Ltd in 1918 and had an anchor added to the side of the funnel, but this took a little time to change through the fleet.
Dave
Whickham

Postby dustydog1 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:59 am

Whickham wrote:Regarding the funnel of the coaster, this could also be the funnel of a Sunderland Towage tug, vertical stripes with a black top.

See SOUTER an example: http://www.tynetugs.co.uk/souter1910.html

They were taken into France, Fenwick Tyne & Wear Co Ltd in 1918 and had an anchor added to the side of the funnel, but this took a little time to change through the fleet.

My last post should have read (The first photo, of my first thread also shows a coaster with a while (light coloured) funnel with black dark topping. This can also just be seen by the aft torpedo tube back.)

The vertical stripes may be cable hanging down from the torpedo loading davit on the port side.

H 60 does look very long (length) with two sets of torpedo launchers.

Thanks for the suggestions and info so far.
dustydog1

Postby dustydog1 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:41 am

dustydog1 wrote:Firstly thank you all for the comments thus far.

I say may be H 60 because she may be double, or triple banked, see the mast sticking out the third funnel. Which looks lower down and similar to the vessel in centre H 60?

H 60 Stb side and another.jpg

If we disregard the H 60 the 3 stack destroyer, looks to me to be more Old 1916 R class. Would any of these class have been broken up in Sunderland in the later mid 1920,s.
dustydog1

Return to Naval Shipping