M.S.C. Tugs

M.S.C. Tugs

Postby teesships » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:53 pm

Albert Weller recorded this group of tugs of the Manchester Ship Canal fleet in August 1975.
The only one I can make out (right foreground) is
M.S.C.RANGER, 154gt,
completed by Robb, Leith, 1-1953
1977 Vernicos Varvara II (Greece) - BU 1986 (per modeltugforum)
M.S.C. Tugsxaw.jpg
Ron
teesships

Re: M.S.C. Tugs

Postby Poyntonian » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:32 pm

Thanks to Reg Bailey (WSS Manchester) for the following analysis of the tugs, much based on info from photographs (many by John Slavin who photographed most of the Robb 1200's).

“Left to Right

'MSC Tarn' Being almost identical sisters, the easiest way is to look for a radar, or, as in Tarn's case the absence of one.
'MSC Puma' White stripe from forepeak to fairlead.
'MSC Talisman' The only MSC tug fitted with radar (despite being short range, it wasn't apparently successful. Maybe the pilots weren't happy moving in fog in such confined waters?
'MSC Rover' By virtue of a second plate mounted below the builders plate presented by the 'Rover Scouts'('MSC Ranger' being the only other such craft with this feature) and to the best of my knowledge only 'MSC Onward','MSC Puma'&'MSC Rover' latterly received white wheel houses.
'MSC Ranger' Name clearly seen plus a second plaque presented by the 'Sea Rangers', plus white strip from bow above rubbing strip and white around forward fairlead.
'MSC Quarry' White timber tops on bow and white tops on staghorns and of course the 'Q' full width visor.

Of the two behind 'MSC Tarn', the wheelhouse of the one to the right has a fluorescent fitting on the wheel house front and in view of the date taken(August1975) has to be one of only two 'V' class built at that time 'MSC Victory' & 'MSC Viceroy'.
To the left is either a 'U' class or 'V' class but without a higher resolution image from Albert Weller I can go no further.
Regards
Reg “
Mike R
Poyntonian

Re: M.S.C. Tugs

Postby teesships » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:18 pm

Brilliant analysis. Thanks very much to Reg.

Ron
teesships

Return to World Ship Society - Teesside