Miramar - Ship on-line database

A directory of useful internet resources

Miramar - Ship on-line database

Postby Whickham » Tue May 15, 2012 7:24 pm

"MIRAMAR SHIP INDEX, the most comprehensive index to ships and their histories, covering iron & steel sailing ships, powered merchant ships (over 100grt) and warships, since the early 19th century. The Index is privately operated and funded entirely by members' subscriptions"

http://www.miramarshipindex.org.nz/

No free but free trial available
Dave
Whickham

Re: Miramar - Ship on-line database

Postby northeast » Wed May 16, 2012 7:29 pm

Highly recommended, the on-line version of the Starke-Schell Registers to whom the credit must be given for the research, and to Rodger for getting it all onto the net!
Some details originally omitted or abbreviated have been added, also well up to date with new ships I have found.
northeast
Site Admin

Postby teesships » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:59 pm

Reported today on Miramar:

WE RECORD with great sadness the passing in Australia on 21/3/13 of that stalwart of maritime research, A. J. (Tony) STARKE. Tony was the founder of two major projects, the monumental series of merchant ship registers known as the STARKE/SCHELL Registers, and the World Ship Society's Yard List project. These two projects have, over the years, played a major role in the development of the Miramar Ship Index, but he had been involved with many more maritime research projects over the years, and was still continuing to produce valuable material until very recently. Our condolences go to his wife, Sheila, and their family.

Ron
teesships

Postby Whickham » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:13 pm

Very sad news indeed. We have used his works extensively for the Tyne Built Ships project and it would never have got started in the first place without the inspiration of the WSS Yard lists and Miramar. He has certainly left a very significant maritime legacy that will benefit future generations.
Dave
Whickham

Postby magoonigal » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:51 pm

Yes Miramar is the most fantastic rescource on the Web and is even better combined with Equasis.

Don't know what I would do without it when preparing a show for the Branch.

He has certainly left us a fantastic legacy.

RIP.
Paul Hood. + WSS Tyneside Branch Hon Sec.
magoonigal

Postby teesships » Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:47 pm

Sad, sad news I found online when checking to see why Miramar had not been updated as scheduled earlier this month.
https://deaths.dompost.co.nz/nz/obituar ... =202665845

This obituary reads: HAWORTH, Rodger Barrington: (Maj. retd) Reg. No. 42252, V Coy RNZIR - Born 30th January 1942 and passed away suddenly 25th August 2022, aged 80 years. Son of the late Frederick and Mary Haworth (nee Bailey). Dearly loved husband of Marion Leahy. Loved and respected stepdad of Wendy, Susanne and Simon, David and Tina, Robynne and Olly, and Daniel. Much loved grandad of Max, James, Laura, and Kate, Jan and Niko, Lily and Maia.Sincere thanks to first responders at Wellington Free Ambulance, and the staff working in MAPU and Ward 6E, Wellington Hospital. In lieu of flowers, donations to the Wellington Free Ambulance would be appreciated and may be made online at: https://www.wfa.org.nz/donate/ Messages to Rodger's family may be left in his tribute book at www.tributes.co.nz or posted c/- PO Box 14-366, Kilbirnie, Wellington 6241. A service for Rodger will be held at St Aidan's Church, 89 Miramar Ave, Miramar, Wellington, on Friday 2nd September at 11.30am, thereafter private cremation.

From my many exchanges of email with Rodger over the last 15 years or so this ,I understood from him, will throw the continued updating of Miramar into doubt, and it may be the site will merely continue as at present in perpetuity. Time will tell.

Ron M
teesships

Postby northeast » Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:10 pm

Another stalwart gone, very sad. I'm sure he will have left the site in good hands even if just for continuing the hosting. Did he not have a band of helpers for all the constant input, it seems a huge task for one person.
northeast
Site Admin

Postby teesships » Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:37 pm

Forming a band of helpers would seem to be the way forward to continue to update this vital resource.
I got the impression he was very much a one-man band so will have to see.

Ron M
teesships

Postby northeast » Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:53 am

Hopefully some fellow Kiwis will rise to the occasion. The problem is getting anyone young (i.e. under 60!) interested.
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Whickham » Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:48 am

Sad news indeed. RIP Rodger. Have used this resource just about every day for years. I wonder what the finances are like? If if it makes money then someone might take it on.
Dave
Whickham

Next

Return to On-line resources