Newcastle Quayside warehouses.

Tyne shipping past and present

Newcastle Quayside warehouses.

Postby brianh » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:37 pm

Resize of Sealion & Talent 28051963 84.jpg
I had almost forgotten how imposing thses building were.
brianh

Re: Newcastle Quayside warehouses.

Postby magoonigal » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:17 pm

Now that really is interesting............

The shed I thought was the DFDS terminal cannot be it. I wonder if it was newly built after they pulled the Wooden Structures down. There was a section of Wooden Jetty just behind the Submarines and the DFDS Shed was built behind it.

I was only 12 at the time! Working things out, it was probably 1965 (aged 14) when I first ventured down to the Quay!

Some things you remember better than others, like the big building that stood on the Sea Front at Whitley Bay where the new Pool is now, just up from the Panama Dip! I passed it twice a day for many years on my way to school!
Paul Hood. + WSS Tyneside Branch Hon Sec.
magoonigal

Postby Rivoldini » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:29 pm

Aha just seen this one. Answers the question. When the elevating gear was demolished it left a big open area where the United ferry berth was relocated from further up near the Swedish Quay. Happy days eh, young Paul!
Rivoldini

Postby magoonigal » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:43 pm

Yes!

OK then was the Warehouse pulled down as well???

Later on when I started work (1968) all the Gangs used to head for the Wooden Cafe at the back of the Quay by the Soap Works. The Swirl, or a near approximation to that! I'm thinking that was where the Warehouse was.

You could get a 12" Stotty Sandwich with a full breakfast in it, but not many people managed that. I could eat for England in those days and I was bushed after a half one! How the lads ever managed to get any work done, I'll never know!
Paul Hood. + WSS Tyneside Branch Hon Sec.
magoonigal

Postby Rivoldini » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:01 pm

YUMMY! The warehouse when built was allegedly the worlds biggest brick structure. It survived the demolishing of the gantry by a few years.
Rivoldini

Postby Rivoldini » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:41 pm

Here Paul, this may give you a better idea of the layout there.
Attachments
photod.JPG
Rivoldini

Postby brianh » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:03 pm

That gives a clear view of the "sticky out" wooden extension which also used to allow a better view of vessels alongside.
brianh

Postby Dennis Maccoy » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:46 pm

Somewhat further east - taken from upriver of the Ouseburn in 1966. Nearest the camera is Baltic Importer and at the extreme right Fred Olsen's Barlind. I didn't record the names of the DFDS and Cairn Line vessels, nor the Frenchman(?) at Spiller's and the adjacent vessel.
Baltic Importer 1966_1.jpg
Regards, Dennis.
Dennis Maccoy

Postby northeast » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:34 am

Dennis, that's a very German-looking Cairn. Straight masts and the sharp stern. Suggest some other identity?
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Dennis Maccoy » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:46 am

On closer inspection I think you're right George. Unfortunately I mislaid my early notebooks many years ago and have only details of those ships that I photographed - in this case the subject was Baltic Importer. Any thoughts on actual identity welcome!
Regards, Dennis.
Dennis Maccoy

Return to The Tyne