SARONIC SPIRE

Tyne shipping past and present

SARONIC SPIRE

Postby Keelman » Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:46 pm

DSC_5338 x .jpg
DSC_5349 x _edited-1.jpg
DSC_5358 x .jpg
DSC_5360 x .jpg
I'm sure wifey would have a sardonic smile on her face this morning when I rang her from South Shields to say that fog on the Tyne really is no myth :o
With the sun beating down on Whickham it looked like a nice enough day to slip down to the coast to photograph a departing bulker. All seemed fine as I watched her depart the Riverside Quay, bound for Riga, so I set off for the Groyne Pier. Boy was I in for a surprise! Standing by the lighthouse, looking upriver, I could barely see the remaining timbers of the old pilot jetty. I could tell the ship was getting close by the continuous warning hoots from the ship and both tugs, not until she was just about opposite me could I make out her shape, which soon disappeared into the murk

The ship is a Kanda 32 Type Open Hatch type, bulk carrier, completed in 2004 at the Kure shipyard of Kanda Shipbuilding. Her previous names are ANGEL ARROW and CS SALINA
Keelman

Re: SARONIC SPIRE

Postby northeast » Sat Sep 09, 2023 6:12 am

The fog on the Tyne is all yours, all yours, Malcolm :)
northeast
Site Admin

Postby creemaster » Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:20 am

And the fog on the Wansbeck was all mine yesterday
Going home it was sunny on the Blyth side, crossed the bridge into Ashington and hit a wall of fog
Van and driver ok and so too was the fog wall!!
Regards
Graham
creemaster

Postby Keelman » Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:58 am

George, I'm told by my nearest and dearest that I seem to spend a fair amount of time going about in a fog these days. A figment of the imagination of course! :?
Keelman

Postby northeast » Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:08 am

Brain fog never seems to clear by midday :(
northeast
Site Admin

Return to The Tyne