KYRIAKATSI (IMO 5199985)

Tyne shipping past and present

KYRIAKATSI (IMO 5199985)

Postby Keelman » Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:52 pm

Kyriakatsi .jpg
Yet another photo of a so called "Scandinavian" type wartime standard freighter visiting Dunston staithes, in this case on 22nd April 1963. Other examples of the type I have posted on NEM are ALEXANDRA K and USKSIDE
KYRIAKATSI was completed in 1943 as ICELAND by the Caledon Shipbuilding Co., Dundee, and registered under the ownership of the Currie Line of Leith. In 1956 she passed into the ownership of the Shamrock Shipping Co., London, renamed MOYLE. When sold to Osprey (Bermuda) Ltd. of London in 1960 she became WINGROVE
The Canon Corp. of Beirut bought the ship in 1961, renaming her CANNONBURY. The following year Lebanese owners La Naisas Cia Maritima SA became her owners and renamed her KYRIAKATSI, a name she carried until the same owners renamed her EFSTATHIOS in 1966
After being in collision with another vessel in Piraeus Roads in 1978 she was eventually broken up at Eleusis the following year
(Above details from Miramar)

Apparently USKSIDE (as EMPIRE VALOUR) and ICELAND were operating in the Mediterranean at the same time in 1944. The EMPIRE VALOUR was discharging cargo at Naples when ICELAND arrived at Algeria on 29th April bringing a cargo of aircraft

Looking at the photo of CANNONBURY posted on NEM by teesships it seems that her bridgework and funnel were later updated by her new Lebanese owners
Keelman

Re: KYRIAKATSI (IMO 5199985)

Postby creemaster » Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:23 pm

Curie Line name is still in existence
I regularly see their trailers on the M6 when I go over to the Lakes
Regards
Graham
creemaster

Return to The Tyne