Who wants a 250-ton steam crane?

Tyne shipping past and present

Re: Who wants a 250-ton steam crane?

Postby Whickham » Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:30 pm

Photo record of THE 250 TON CRANE, towed by GT VICTORY, entering the Tyne 07/08/2021 by Jim Scott.

JS1.jpg
Photo by Jim Scott.

JS2.jpg
Photo by Jim Scott.

JS3.jpg
Photo by Jim Scott.

JS4.jpg
Photo by Jim Scott.
Dave
Whickham

Postby northeast » Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:25 am

What a wonderful sight! Union flag and English flag. But should she have been allowed in with MUFC painted on her :)
Where is she berthed?
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Whickham » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:20 am

Kevin has sent me these photos of the crane alongside at Low Walker.

CB1.jpg
Photo by Kevin Blair

CB2.jpg
Photo by Kevin Blair

CB3.jpg
Photo by Kevin Blair
Dave
Whickham

Postby Whickham » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:28 am

Interesting comparison in the last photo. The 250 ton crane alongside Shepherd's 800 ton crane.

Demag.jpg
Photo is copyright of Shepherd Offshore
Dave
Whickham

Postby northeast » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:41 am

Well, maybe it's an extra crane for Shepherd's .... reely :D
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Hornbeam » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:02 am

Thanks for all the photo contributions, she is certainly quite a beast compared to other Floating Cranes and ideal for lifting sunken vessels from the Canal, I would have thought it would take a few Months to clean her down before work can start on any conversion which I must admit I am having difficulty visualising the end product without adding more 'top hamper' to her :(
All it needs NE is for a 'volunteer' to nip up to Newcastle with some paint and brush to obliterate the 'U' :oops:
Interesting that the Tug is off to Stallendam which I would have thought was the ideal place to do the Crane conversion, I wonder which British Company has took up the challenge.
I see the Tug Engineer has taken up the usual position, just checking the overboard discharge you understand which looks quite healthy to me.
Hornbeam

Postby magoonigal » Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:44 pm

Joking apart, when you look at the mechanics of the crane, its quiet a beast and designed for lifting the lock gates into position. Would be wonderful to see it "In Steam" and working, but I doubt that, that will ever happen. The block across the stern are the Netty's. It also looks like she has had an additional pontoon added to the stern.
Paul Hood. + WSS Tyneside Branch Hon Sec.
magoonigal

Postby Hornbeam » Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:14 pm

One huge Trim Tab possibly. Looking at the water tank above the Nettys hopefully they could be flushed with freshwater (besides for washing) to get rid of that awful smell which lingers on when flushing is done with Saltwater and I don't mean after a decent Curry!!
I wonder if she has a Sewage Disposal Plant fitted :D
Hornbeam

Postby Hornbeam » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:23 am

I wonder when she was last in steam? She can't have much steam time on her and I would have thought the Dutch would want her working again unless the 'Dutch Connection' is "Fake News" :D and Shepherds want her for lifting full Reels, if there are any Volunteers on Site for her refurbishment and who would like to purchase my 'Hockey Stick' Bearing Scraper complete with M.O.D. arrow marking which like me is a bit of an Antique by now it will be available that is if I can find it in the garage as it is a very long time since I last used it.
Tug Company has some interesting vessel's.
Hornbeam

Postby Tynesider » Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:08 pm

Hi Guys

As I now live in Shropshire I can only keep track of shipping movements on AIS, has the crane been moved into the old Swans dock where the Tyne tunnel was built? if so what's happening?

I have heard a rumour of where its going (which you will never believe :) ) but cannot say at present
Mike
Archivist for the Colvic Watson Owners Group
Tynesider

PreviousNext

Return to The Tyne