CORSTREAM

Tyne shipping past and present

CORSTREAM

Postby Keelman » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:59 pm

Corstream.jpg
Lying in the shadow of Howdon Staiths loading gantry, probably in the mid 60's.
Built 1955 by the Burntisland Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., for Wm. Cory & Sons
I believe she was eventually converted to carry liquid gas and sailed under the name KYRAMARUKO.
Damaged while on passage Gdansk to Esjberg she ended her days at the hands of shipbreakers at Hamburg
Keelman

Re: CORSTREAM

Postby Rivoldini » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:17 pm

Great photo Km Thank you. Did you mean to say Jarrow Staithes?
Rivoldini

Postby magoonigal » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:24 am

Launched by Burntisland Ship Building on the 22nd March 1955 and completed on the 11th September 1955.
3,330 Gross. 4,640 Dwt. 9.5 kts.

Now in 1965 William Cory & Son Ltd set up a Company called Liquid Gas Tankers Ltd and in 1969 all the Cory Colliers were transfered to this Company.
CORBANK; CORBEACH; CORBRAE; CORBURN; CORCHESTER; CORSEA; CORSTAR and CORSTREAM.

CORSTREAM was sold to the Kieland Shipping Company Limited of Nicosia prior to December 1972 and renamed KYRAMARUKO. She was the odd one out as all the others were Motor Ships and she was Steam.
On the 2nd November 1972 she went aground on the Horns Reef while on a voyage from Gdansk to Esbjerg and although she was refloated later the same day she was found to have sustained a severe hull crack and bottom damage.
Kieland Shipping then sold her as a CTL to the West German shipbreaker Eckhardt & Co and she arrived at Hamburg on the 15th January 1973 in tow from Esbjerg.

So she was only with Kieland for a number of months and never made it into Mr Lloyds Big Red book under that name (Obviously would have been in the supplement.) so I cannot check if she was converted to a Gas Tanker, but I suspect that was doubtful, however I could be wrong.
She was only 17 years old and could perhaps have been converted OR are you getting mixed up with the LIQUID GAS TANKER'S, Company name which I must admit does seem to be a strange choice for a fleet of Colliers.....

I rest my case M'Lud.

As an aside the Four Bulk Oil Tankers in the fleet in December 1972, Pass of Glenclunie/Glenogle; Cordale and Cordene were transfered to Cory Maritime Ltd, which would have been a more appropriate Company name for the Colliers! and the other way round.
Paul Hood. + WSS Tyneside Branch Hon Sec.
magoonigal

Postby Keelman » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:14 am

Bom Dia, and Obrigado gentlemen for your comments and "gen". My few words about the ship were garnered from the vague scribblings I made about the ship, in ancient times!
I can make no excuse for taking the staiths away from the good people of Jarrow and plonking them down at Howdon!
Keelman

Postby Keelman » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:23 pm

Corstream .jpg
Oil-fired she was the last steam-powered collier built for Wm. Cory & Sons
Her main engine was built by the North East Maritime Engineering Co. Ltd., Wallsend
T3-cyl (18.5" x 29" x 52" x 39") 1,350 ihp giving a 10 knot service speed through a single propellor

Pictured at Dunston staithes 1st July 1961
I have a feeling that the vessel laid up at the buoys behind Dunston CEGB generating station belonged to the Pelton Steamship Co. Ltd.
Keelman

Postby creemaster » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:16 am

She was carrying a cargo of coal slurry at the time of her loss so she was not converted to a gas carrier.
With my Sherlock hat on I deduce that possibly the cargo shifted and caused her grounding but heh I ain’t the great detective
Regards
Graham
creemaster

Postby Hornbeam » Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:28 pm

Nice little job for the Steam Engineer who didn't want to wander far from home (possibly on his Wife's instructions :?) North East built some great steam engines, built like brick --- you know.
Hornbeam

Return to The Tyne