Stephenson loco shipment, 1950's

Tyne shipping past and present

Stephenson loco shipment, 1950's

Postby northeast » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:33 pm

Two interesting photos sent to me for identification of place, date and ships .... not a big ask but even I can see this must be the Tyne, due to the distant Ridley paddle tug which I hope Dave will confirm as RELIANT ... date has to be 1954 onwards due to the tanker CHLOE which came from the Furness yard in 1954, so if it is RELIANT then it must be dated 1954 to 09/1956 when she went to Seaham.
The locos were from 'Robert Stephenson & Hawthorns' so if they were Newcastle built then why would a coaster appear to be used for movement to the deep-sea ship, where was the loco works?
Finally, which quay is this?

Oops, just looked again, the main vessel looks like maybe a tanker fitting out? So are the locos being lifted over the top of her for shipment in the coaster ... by the Vickers crane??

Tyne_1.jpg

Tyne_2.jpg
northeast
Site Admin

Re: Stephenson loco shipment, 1950's

Postby northeast » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:46 pm

38 views and no answers!
Looking yet again, due to the river's width could this be at the Wallsend Slipway yard, below Swan Hunter's?
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Whickham » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:32 pm

Well it certainly looks like a Ridley tug and the only paddler that they had in the 1950s was RELIANT. KING EDWARD VII was another possibilty but she bit the dust in 1950.
However the cranes are giving me a problem. I can only think of four hammerheads on the Tyne, one on an internal berth at High Walker, the one that is still there at OTP, one at North-Eastern Marine and finally one at Wallsend Slipway. Please correct me if you think otherwise. My definition of a hammerhead being a jib with a horizontal top.
It looks to me that, as you say in your ooops, that the tender is being lifted across a tanker to the coaster on the outboard side. The guy hauling between the hatches on the coaster certainly looks as though he is expecting the tender to be coming down his way.
So what's my problem? There is a heavy lift crane with the engine suspended from it and in the background is a hammerhead. Could it be lifted by the NEM crane with Wallsend Slipway in the backgound, lifted by a crane at Swans with NEM in the background or was there a crane further upriver which would allow the High Walker crane to be in the background. My money is on a lift at NEM.

PS I see that you have slipped in with another comment while I was typing.
Dave
Whickham

Postby Whickham » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:35 pm

According to the local papers there was a CHLOE at N-E Marine from 03/11/1953 to 18/02/1954 and having trials on the 17/02/1954.
So although the CHLOE in the photo was built at Haverton Hill and her engines were by Richardsons Westgarth were they installed at NEM?
Was NEM part of the same group as RW?
Dave
Whickham

Postby Whickham » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:38 pm

CHLOE sailed from the Tees to the Tyne 31/10/1953. Sailed or towed?
Dave
Whickham

Postby Whickham » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:44 pm

See the last paragraph.

Chloe.jpg

Chloe2.jpg
Dave
Whickham

Postby northeast » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:55 pm

Thanks Detective Dave, putting all this together it would seem that this is likely to be at NEM, CHLOE may have already had her engine lifted in, and the crane has got an extra non-marine job with the locos and tenders. Wallsend crane in background. The tanker over which they are being lifted could be from any NE yard. The vessels in distance would be on buoys below Jarrow?
Just checked LR, and CHLOE is shown as Doxford by RW, Hartlepool so maybe subbed by them, or same group as you say.
Last question, where were the engine works of Stephenson, somewhere nearby?
I will find out more about the locos and where they were going to, maybe the coaster was taking them to be transshipped elsewhere.
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Whickham » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:09 pm

As far as I know the Stephenson engine works were in central Newcastle, between the central station and the river. That area is now known as the Stephenson Quarter.

PS the Wallsend crane in the background would be the Wallsend Slipway crane.
Dave
Whickham

Postby Whickham » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:13 pm

Not sure of the date for this map but Hawthorn's Engine Works and Stephenson's Engine works are both marked.

Stephenson.jpg
Dave
Whickham

Postby northeast » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:35 am

Thanks Dave, guess any locos would have to be moved out by road from either of these Works.

From MIke Fell, who sent the photos and enquiry -

"The locos (six of them) were ordered in 1953 and delivered in 1953/1954. Robert Stephenson & Hawthorrns works were at Forth Bank. The locomotives were for the Rio Tinto Railway in Andalusia, Spain so a lengthy voyage for the coaster. The railway ran from Rio Tinto to Huelva. At least three of the locos still survive."
northeast
Site Admin

Next

Return to The Tyne