The ZETLAND

Lifeboats past and present between Berwick and Grimsby

The ZETLAND

Postby northeast » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:13 pm

I hear that the ZETLAND has been moved to Middlesbrough for some repairs, has there been anything in the press, or any other details known re what problems it has had?
northeast
Site Admin

Re: The ZETLAND

Postby teesships » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:10 pm

As is so often the case, the man-in-the-know is Derek Hinds, editor of the Teesside Branch WSS journal TEES PACKET - where he gets his information from, I just don't know!!!

In the forthcoming February 2019 issue of TEES PACKET he writes:
The world’s oldest surviving lifeboat has made its first journey for 55 years, temporarily leaving her home in
Redcar, to undergo a program of sympathetic conservation, preserving her structural integrity for generations to come.
As part of a project, six years in the planning, Redcar’s historic ZETLAND Lifeboat was loaded onto a Low Loader
provided by Richmond haulage company, G C S Johnson Ltd, and transported to AV Dawson Ltd on the banks of the
River Tees, where the conservation work will take place. Undertaken by respected Redcar boat builder, Tony Young, the
project, which is conservation rather than restoration, will be based on the survey and report of a marine surveyor
recommended by National Historic Ships UK. It will return to its boathouse at the ZETLAND Lifeboat Museum and
Redcar Heritage Centre, ready for when the venue reopens in Spring 2019.

Followed by details of her career.

A bit of a plug. Four copies of TEES PACKET (24 pages each) available through myself. £6.00 annual subscription for digital (emailed) copies; £12.00 per annum for paper copy by post (including digital copy if so requested). PM me as appropriate.

Ron
teesships

Postby northeast » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:29 am

Thanks Ron, my brother David had been down for the annual local lifeboat dinner (Tees and Redcar) and had picked up some of this. We are still wondering just what needs to be done to the old lady. Hopefully no serious rot in her hull after 217 years!! Sounds like it could be more cosmetic than structural though ... 'conservation rather than restoration'.
northeast
Site Admin

Postby northeast » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:12 pm

Just received some photos from Jim Veitch of the charity Friends of the Zetland Lifeboat (no.1153465), taken in December after paint stripping, this reveals several areas where the woodwork needs attention. They have funds which they hope will cover the work but it's rather open-ended as may be expected. I'm sure any help would be greatly appreciated! Contact details are on the Charity Commission website.
ZETLAND131218C.jpg

ZETLAND131218A.jpg

p.s. will ask if he can send some to Derek Hinds.
northeast
Site Admin

Postby northeast » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:46 pm

ZETLAND's overhaul is completed and she should be back in Redcar next Friday, 5 April.
Full article in the next issue of Tees Packet.
northeast
Site Admin

Postby teesships » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:19 pm

teesships

Postby northeast » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:15 pm

Thanks Ron, I'll be up there tomorrow around 11.00 for a look at her.
northeast
Site Admin

Postby northeast » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:26 am

ZETLAND looking good back in her home yesterday.
Good displays all round, you can also watch live AIS in there (useful when you can hardly see the sea ..... ) :)
ZETLAND_070419A.jpg

ZETLAND_070419B.jpg

ZETLAND_070419C.jpg
northeast
Site Admin

Return to Lifeboats of the North East